How Can Youth Resolve Disparity in Society?

The recent report has highlighted the widespread disparity in our society which needs to be addressed on an urgent basis. And youth should have a constructive role.

0
How Can Youth Resolve Disparity in Society?
How Can Youth Resolve Disparity in Society?
181 Views

Disparity has become a necessary evil in the society and the common masses have made themselves understand that it is their fate which can’t be changed. The disparity which has been an important concern has found itself available on various fronts which not only include the health and education parameters but also in the economic distribution.

Former president Pranab Mukherjee while addressing a session at Confederation of Indian Industry, Kolkata which have been organised by their youth wing said, “A very recent report on the Indian economic situation between 2013 and 2017 states that 71 percent of total wealth generated in India is accumulated by 21 percent people; while remaining 79 percent of the population is left with 29 percent of the wealth. This cannot go on for long. Change has to be brought and change will be brought by the young people, not by me, not by anybody else.” He focussed on a ‘look inward’ approach as these things are unacceptable for any civilized society.

He poured his frustration and disappointment on one another report 40% of the least developed countries have just 13% of their girl child getting enrolled in school whereas just 11% of men and women have access to healthcare. As India could expect the largest working population until the end of 2022, there is an urgent need for skilling and generation of employment. The former president further quoted, “The oldest civilization would be younger and younger. So the responsibility lies with you (the youth) to remove disparity, inequality and provide leadership. Otherwise, I am afraid that demographic advantage will transform into a demographic disaster.”

Related Articles

At the time when such a disparity has been a major concern, The Policy Times suggests some policy measures which could eventually reduce such a wide disparity:-

  • Implement Right to Education and quality education at university level
  • Proper training of the youths instead of appeasement policies like Skill India
  • Check and balance on quota system which could improve the quality of our youths in PSUs and government sector
  • Mandatory education of girls up to postgraduate level
  • Setting of industries on a need basis rather than vote bank policy

If these basic measures would become a reality our society will surely see a new dawn where disparity would be just a word in the textbooks.