In a shocking incident that brings the laxness of the authorities to the fore, over 50 school children in Uttar Pradesh’s Balrampur District – Nayanagar Primary School, were electrocuted by a high tension wire.
Reports say that the incident happened at 10am when the children, after taking off their shoes, were sitting on gunny bags on the ground. A police officer in the eastern UP district, about 160 kilometers from the Lucknow, said the high tension wire was in contact with some trees in the school campus and also touched the moist ground, and in the process, electrocuted the children.
As a result, the school had a chaotic scene with children scream and running barefooted in the compound to escape. According to the Hindustan Times, the children fainted one by one, and the teachers were unhurt as they had been wearing their shoes.
Various reports highlight that villagers had complained several times to the power department to remove the wire but their complaints had fallen on deaf ears. Times of India said a tree had fallen over and broken the wire after a heavy storm on Saturday. “A rusty electric pole had also bent over one side. While the lineman had repaired the cable, they failed to replace the pole,” the report said. “On Monday, the pole collapsed and the wire fell over the walls, electricity ran through the damp school walls and floors,” it said. The school teachers called the power department but in vain as no one picked up the phone. Following this incident, the laxity of the power department has come to the fore.
Balrampur district magistrate Krishna Karunesh has ordered action against a junior engineer and suspended a lineman of the power department, with immediate effect, for failing to remove the dangling high tension wire. The magistrate said 29 children are undergoing treatment at Utraula Community Health Centre and 22 children are being treated at a private hospital.