It is true that Corruption is cancer for a country because it makes hallow the three main pillars (Executive, Legislation, and Judiciary) deeply. Corruption is a serious issue that adversely affects India’s economy. It holds the development, employment and many other important assets of a country which helps in GDP growth.
According to a recent CMS-India Corruption Study,13 states, and 11 public services, 75% of Indian households perceive that corruption in public services has gone up.
According to Transparency International, India continues to rank to be the most corrupt countries in the world. By the records of 2005 conducted by Transparency International, more than 92% Indians at some point or another paid bribe to public servants to get their job done. Also, records of 2008 stated that 50% of Indians had first-hand experience of paying bribes or using their contacts to get their work done.
In too many countries, people are deprived of their most basic needs and go to bed hungry every night because of corruption, while the powerful and corrupt enjoy lavish lifestyles with impunity.” – José Ugaz, Chair of Transparency International
The largest contributors are prerogative programs and social spending schemes. which mostly enacted by the Indian government such as Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) and National Rural Health Mission.
- While China Gives Death Penalty for Corruption, Where is Modi’s “Na Khaunga Na Khane Dunga”
- Fighting Corruption: India Vs China
- Who is Fighting Corruption for Poor?
- Despite a Grim Picture, Corruption has Reduced, Says Study
Causes of corruption in India include:
- Excessive Regulations – More regulations and government control of the business, leads to corruption. In orders to convince or gain extra advantages, firms and companies try to bribe and influence executive, legislature and at some point judiciary also.
- Complicated Tax and licensing system – According to few firms, the major constraint of doing business in India is tax administration. The most competitive disadvantaged by business executives are tax regulation. To tackle this constraint the firms and companies propose bribe to tax officials. While approximately two in every ten surveyed companies expect to give gifts to tax officials.
- Numerous government departments with opaque bureaucracy – The Transparency International highlighted the deep-rooted corruption in civil services. Also, the Vohra committee report highlighted the lack of secular governance and pointed the intellectual deficiencies of bureaucracy after the joining of service. The greed of bureaucrats and Babu culture also leads to corruption in India.
- Lack of transparent laws and processes – The Right to Information Act (RTI) which was enacted in 2005 is a transparent law. The people who want information under RTI from government agencies and bureaucrats were either attacked, murdered, physically or mentally harassed or had their property damaged. According to the data emerged, more than 50 alleged murders and two suicides that were directly linked with RTI applications filed.
Though political perspective of corruption in India, as of December 2009, 120 of India’s 524 parliament member were accused of various corruption and scandal crimes. During the regime of Congress, several scandals and corruption crimes happened which adversely affect the credibility of Congress party.
Telecom Licenses Scandal or 2G scam was one of the biggest scams in which the license issued by the former minister “Andimuthu Raja”, who was accused of misselling bandwidth and responsible to have issued the frequency licenses on “first come, first serve” basis instead of auctioning them.
In 2010, during Commonwealth games in Delhi where a huge amount of money for preparing and conducting the commonwealth games was misused in the commonwealth scam. The total scam estimated to be Rs. 70,000 crores in commonwealth games. Many politicians and bureaucrats and corporate bigwigs were involved in the scam.
Narendra Modi said that “Na khaunga Na Khaane Dunga” (I will never make money, nor let others do so) but after coming to power, BJP corruption has been internationalized. Also, In July 2011, B S Yeddyurappa, the then CM of Karnataka, was asked to resign after an anti-corruption panel named him as a key.
Congress general secretary said, “The prime minister claims he has good relations with all the world leaders, then why can’t he be able to bring back all those accused such as Lalit Modi, Vijay Mallya, Nirav Modi and others by using his influence.
So, the Saffron party only tries to dictate people on what to wear, what to eat and what culture to follow. In Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh), Congress alleged that BJP central leadership is protecting Shivraj Singh Chouhan government for the scam of Rs.1500 Crores in the construction of toilets in the state under Rashtriya Swachhta Mission.
Bribery is becoming essential need to get the job done. In government institution and the activists, journalists and the people who stand against corruption being murdered or threatened. The corruption also affects GDP of the country and the credibility of institutions, bureaucrats, political parties also.