New Delhi: Plastic is usually made from petrochemicals like oils, natural gas, and coal although some plastics are made from natural materials. Most plastics do not biodegrade. They slowly break down into smaller fragments known as microplastics.
The current situation of India on plastic pollution is increasing day by day thereby government has introduced the “Plastic Waste Management Amendment, 2021 prohibiting identified single-use plastic items by 2022.
Single-Use Plastic or disposable plastics are meant to be used once, after that they can be thrown or recycled. Although there are some successful initiatives that aim to tackle other types of single-use plastics.
The Policy Times, the world’s first Policy and Development media hosted an E-conference on India Plastic Policy on October 8, 2021, Friday.
The Chief Guest for the E- conference was Ms. Saloni Goel, Climate Change Specialist at NITI Aayog. Leaders from plastic industries, recycling industries, and others also shared their views on the plastic policy. The show was supported by EcoEx, Save Globe, MRAI, Sampurn Earth, and Greenscape.
Industries perspective –
- Single-Use Plastic is harmful to the ecosystem, if we are able to eliminate SUP we will reduce the significant amount of waste generated
- Recycling is only one of the things secularities is the much broader approach to the whole subject
- plastics have contributed to multiple innovations in safety, performance, and fuel efficiency
- Plastics are sustainable, durable, long-lasting materials that can be reused and easily stored
- We should try our level best to reduce, reuse and recycle plastic whenever possible to reduce the level of environmental pollution
Hon’ble Speakers & Contributors
- Saloni Goel (Climate Change Specialist at NITI Aayog)
- Akshaya Rath (Chief Executive Officer, EcoEx)
- Debartha Banerjee (Co-Founder and Director, Sampurn(e)arth Environment Solution Pvt. Ltd)
- Shalini Goyal Bhalla (MD- International Council for Circular Economy & Committee Member, Dry Waste and C&D Waste at NITI Aayog)
- Padmashri Rajagopalan Vasudevan (Plastic Man of India & Professor and Dean, Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai)
- Mohammad Shameem Khan (EHS and Sustainability Head – PCPB ITC Limited)
- Bipin Kumar Rai (EHS Head, Continental Tyres India)
- Michael Rada (Founder INDUSTRY 5.O & President – IBCSD)
- Akram Hoque (Founder Editor, The Policy Times)