Girls can now attend Sainik Schools

Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced in his 75th Independence Day address to the country that Sainik Schools, which had previously solely admitted males, will henceforth take girls as well.

0
Girls can now attend Sainik Schools

Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced in his 75th Independence Day address to the country that Sainik Schools, which had previously solely admitted males, will henceforth take girls as well. “I received messages from tens of thousands of girls across the country expressing their willingness to attend Sainik Schools. As a result, the government has decided that all such schools across the country will henceforth be open to female students as well,” Prime Minister Modi remarked.

What are Sainik Schools?

VK Krishna Menon, who served as the Union defense minister from April 1957 to October 1962, is the man behind Sainik schools. This concept was created by Menon in 1961.

How to take admission?

For admission to Sainik Schools that follow the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) curriculum, an All India Sainik School Entrance Examination (AISSEE) is held. Admission is provided to students in grades 6 and 9 based on their achievement on the entrance exam. The results of the class 10 board exams are used to determine entrance to class 11.

It should be emphasized, however, that 67 percent of places are reserved for students from a Sainik School’s home state. The remaining 33% of pupils are admitted from states other than their own. Reservations are also made for Scheduled Castes (15%), Scheduled Tribes (7.5%), Other Backward Classes (27%), and wards of present and previous military (25 percent ).

How many schools are in India?

There are 33 such schools in the country right now. In addition to Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Odisha, and Rajasthan each have two Sainik Schools.

The Sainik Schools Society, which is part of the Union Ministry of Defence, runs these schools (MoD). Sainik Schools, as the name implies, prepare students for military service. As a result, students are referred to as “cadets” and must adhere to severe standards similar to those found in military schools. Sainik School in Chhingchhip, Mizoram, began enrolling females as a pilot initiative in October 2019. While announcing the announcement, PM Modi mentioned the school.

(Source: HT)

Summary
Article Name
Girls can now attend Sainik Schools
Description
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced in his 75th Independence Day address to the country that Sainik Schools, which had previously solely admitted males, will henceforth take girls as well.
Author
Publisher Name
THE POLICY TIMES
Publisher Logo