In a recent statement by the honourable Finance Minister Arun Jaitely “The budget cannot be linked to elections, we needed to strengthen the rural sector.” The rural sector which have been always marginalized on every occasion have been taken care off. Even though there was a very strong storm of rumours that this budget is going to be a “Rambaan” of Modi’s government for the upcoming elections, the government has tried to shed from such rumours and misconceptions by strongly focussing on the rural sector.
Starting from the agriculture where the Budget 2018 have elated the farmers in various ways:
- A fund of ₹2,000 Crores have been allocated for agricultural market
- The Minimum Support Price of Kharif have been increased 1.5 times
- Food processing sector have got an allocation of ₹1400 Crores
- ₹10,000 Crores have been separated for fisheries and animal husbandry funds
- ₹500 Crores have been dedicated to Operation Green
Focussing on the rural areas, the Budget have tried to work in the interest of the common masses by:
- 8 Crore women are going to get new LPG connections
- 4 Crore people will be able to lighten their house as they will get power connection
- The Swach Bharat Mission will get a boost as govt. will build 2 Crores toilets
- 1 Crore houses will be built under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna in rural areas
- 5,570 Crores for livelihood schemes
- 9,975 Crores for Social Security schemes
- Mr. PM! If Raping 8 Months Old Baby is not a National Crisis, then what is!
Coming to the education sector the budget have gone for the opening of Eklavya Schools which are at par with the Navodaya Schools. These schools which are surely going to benefit the lower-income group families to give their children a quality education. The setting up of 1.5 Lakhs centres to provide medical facilities is quite assuring and the most welcoming move from the budget was providing ₹5 Lakhs per family for secondary and tertiary care hospitalisation. These steps are surely going to benefit the rural people who are unfortunate to have an access to a good hospital in the absence of money.
After having a glance at the Budget 2018 it seems that Modi government may be criticized for other things like GST and Demonetization but will be surely praised for his kind gestures towards rural India.