Bitcoin is all in the news, and when there’s a chance of making some good dough people use their capabilities to a whole other level. Several scientists in Russia have been caught for mining several cryptocurrencies from a Russian nuclear warhead facility. Policies on mining should be formulated to avoid confusion, in this case this needs to strictly be prohibited as it was done in a restricted site.
Russians are advanced technologically, and this has resulted in scientists taking advantage of the powerful supercomputers in a nuclear facility to mine Bitcoins. There are 20,000 people employed in the Facility, with supercomputer facilities of 1 petaflop which is a mind boggling 1,000 trillion calculations per second.
The Nuclear center they had tried to use was a restricted area, and this has put facilities around the world on alert. It is surrounded by a tightly guarded no man’s land and with barbed wires. These scientists would have been the last anyone would expect. As they say curiosity kills the cat.
- Is Bitcoin the Future Currency?
- Don’t Count Your Chicken before They Hatch
- Is Reliance Launching It’s Own Cryptocurrency – JioCoin?
Once the supercomputers were connected to the internet, the nuclear centre’s security department was alerted. As a result these scientists were handed over to the Federal Security Service (FSB).
The Russian nuclear warhead facility is located in Sarov, Western Russia. In this facility was where the first nuclear bomb was produced by the USSR during the Cold War.
The Federal Nuclear Centre reportedly employs up to 20,000 people and its supercomputer boasts a capacity of 1 petaflop, the equivalent of 1,000 trillion calculations per second.
This is not the only illegal Bitcoin mining activity taking place-
- A fire broke out at a block of flats due to overheating computers in an illegal Bitcoin mining factory.
- A raid took place in Malaysia in the Puchong Jaya area due to two residencies operating illegal Bitcoin mining operations. A particular business permit is required in Malaysia for Bitcoin mining, as fire hazards can take place if not safe and sound.