Born and raised in Assam, Quiline Kakoty is a freelance journalist and book blogger. She lives in Delhi. A few weeks ago she tested positive for Covid-19, and being a severe asthmatic patient it was tough for her to get a faster recovery. In a phone interview with Samayeta Kanjilal of The Policy Times, Quiline unfolded her covid journey.
Q: How did you get Covid-19 positive?
- It couldn’t detect at first. I was in home isolation for the past four months. My husband goes to work, but he had no symptoms of Covid. There was no chance of getting affected by him. I went to the market once so it might come from the market.
Q: I also heard that you have severe asthma, which precautions did you takes during that time? What were your symptoms?
- Technically, my asthma hit me in winter then I have been isolated since December. I used to take ‘Kara’ (mixed with Turmeric and Ginger, Ginger tea), and that helped me to recover fast. Also, my doctor prescribed me Multivitamin tablets, Vitamin C, and Zink tablets. Besides, ‘kara’ helped me a lot. I used to take steam twice daily apart from my medication. It helped to regain my smell.
Even though I am a severe asthmatic, I lost my smell and nothing severe happened to me touch wood. But things were normal.
Q: How did you self isolate yourself at home? Have your family got tested for Covid-19?
- I completely isolated myself at home and I had my separate room. I got a call from the Delhi government; they asked if I had a separate room, bathroom for myself. I used to use mask whenever I stepped into a different room, also I had to use separated utensils for me.
Yes, I live with my husband and he tested negative for Covid-19. I was worried and my family too was on tension because of my asthma.
- Victory amidst failures: Meghalaya ranks second in nationwide immunization coverage
- The world is facing “generational catastrophe” due to Covid-19, warns UN Secretary-General
Q: As you are currently staying in Delhi, how the Delhi government is working according to you? How healthcare workers are treating?
- Honestly saying, my experience was quite good. When I tested positive for Covid, I got the news from the Delhi government only. The second day they came with some medicines like Vitamin-C, Multi-vitamins, and an ‘Oxy pulse meter’. Every day twice daily, they called me and asked for my health condition. My oxygen pulse rate was okay. Further, every second day I got a call from the SDO office; every day twice, I got a call from ASHA workers; I also got calls if I need groceries during my isolation.
I felt like I was not alone, I got a lot of help from the government. Especially my neighbours also helped me during that time.
Q: How many times have you tested for Covid? Are you still on medication?
- I tested twice, and now I tested negative for Covid. Answering your second question, Yes, I’m still taking the Vitamin tablets as my doctor prescribed. After recovery, a patient’s body gets weak, so I need to continue with my medications until I become fit.
Q: Your message for the people who are scared and tested for covid, and what precautions should they take?
- Yes, I want to tell them that if you are feeling any symptoms such as cough, fever, you should immediately go to doctor and test because it can become severe if ignored. Without being scared you should take a test. Please do not hide if you having those symptoms. The government and doctors will be with you.
Secondly, I am requesting to all neighbours not to abandon if somebody gets positive. At this time what they all need is support from everyone.