US Constitution’s 25th Amendment states that President can be impeached if he/she “is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.” The amendment further says if a president dies, resigns or is removed from office, the vice president steps up and takes over. The allowance also exist in the amendment for a president transferring power to the vice president during surgery, if he is temporarily incapacitated, and then reclaim powers afterwards.
- In the event the president cannot fulfill his constitutional duties and cannot or will not step aside, the amendment outlines a procedure for his ouster.
- Under the law, the vice president and a majority of the president’s Cabinet may declare the president incapacitated by notifying the leaders of the House and Senate.
- At that point, the vice president assumes the duties of the president.
What this got to do with President Trump?
Some democrats have thought of using 25th Amendment against Trump on the ground that he does not have the mental capacity to serve as the president of United States. The mental capacity can be differentiated with mental disorder – that there is no conclusive proof that Trump has mental disorders, although claims can made that he does not have mental capacity to lead the country. On the questions of empathy, trust, and critical thinking, which are considered to be some of the criteria for having mental capacity for such a responsible job, Trump certainly lacks.
- His statements on Muslims and Islam talks about his lack of empathy
- He cannot be trusted – he has developed a habit of cutting corners
- His critical thinking brought United States almost at the brink of war with North Korea
He may call himself ‘stable genius’, but his actions speaks otherwise. He promised to build a wall across the Mexican border and make Mexico pay for it! Is it something to be trusted or shows critical thinking? It shows his lack of empathy too! Few months ago, he called on Pakistan to express his desire to start a real relationship between the two nations. Just few months on, without any rhyme or reason, he lambasted Pakistan and threatened to cut off aid. This, too, proves his lack of stability in relation to the words he speaks. He exercised extreme vetting with Saudi Arabia soon after assuming office and then included the country as the first one in his itinerary of foreign trips. Thus, democrats have a point when they attempted to impeach President Trump based on 25th Amendment as President Trump lacks most of the criteria to be mentally capacitated to hold such a responsible position of being the chief executive of United States of America.