A major fire broke out in the slums of South-East Delhi’s Tughlakabad area on the intervening night of Monday and Tuesday, at around 12:50 AM burning 1,500 shanties and leaving hundreds of people homeless.
Rajendra Prasad Meena, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), South- East, stated that “We received information about the fire at around 1 AM and 18- 20 fire tenders reached the spot immediately. It is being said that around 1,000- 1,200 shanties caught fire.” He also added that “Locals are saying most people came out of their shanties after the fire broke.” “Fire fighting operations are underway and no casualty has been reported so far,” he added
Later 30 fire tenders reached the spot, said a fire department official, adding that, all the slum occupants were rescued in time even as most were fast asleep. The fire was put off at around 3:40 AM, burning thousands of shacks and leaving people homeless. The government is currently assessing the loss.
The reason behind the massive fire is still unclear, but a fire official doubted that it might be an incident of gas cylinder blast. Deputy Chief Fire Officer of South Delhi Zone SS Tuli said in an interview that, “The situation is under control now and the reason behind the fire is a matter of investigation, however, there are some incidents of gas cylinder blast.”