Scientists from the Nigerian Universities claim to have discovered a Vaccine that ‘may’ help to prevent COVID-19 infection. The claim was made by the researchers on Friday, June 19.
Dr. Oladipo Kolawole, Leader of the team for COVID-19 research said at a news conference, “The vaccine was being developed locally in Africa for Africans. It would also work for other continents when unveiled”. On being asked how soon the unnamed vaccine would be unveiled to the public, Kolawole said, “It would take a minimum of 18 months, because a lot of analysis and studies and medical authorities’ approvals were still pending.
Prof. Solomon Adebola, Acting Vice-chancellor of the university said, “We are glad that a vaccine that will provide a solution to a global problem like Coronavirus pandemic is coming from the garden. We are ready to throw our weights behind the team and make the vaccine a reality.”
- India-China clash; Centre cancels Bihar’s Rs 2,900 crore bridge project
- Fake News are Spreading across the Social Media Platforms Faster than the Virus
Prof. Julius Oloke, Head of Coordinating Unit of the Research Group and Vice-Chancellor of Precious Cornerstone University, Ibadan, said; “It’s a pleasure that we have come together to produce a vaccine at a time that the world requires a solution to a ravaging pandemic.
According to Dr. Kolawole, the study, which led to the discovery of the vaccine, had enjoyed initial funding by the Trinity Immuno deficient Laboratory and Helix Biogen Consult, Ogbomosho, to the tune of about N7.8 million.
Regarding the vaccine development situation in other countries;
- China, the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic outbreak, has already been testing six experimental shots in humans.
- The United Kingdom has also approved a possible vaccine for the later stages of clinical trials.
- The US-based Moderna Inc. has also had its candidate approved for the later stage of trials.
- More than a dozen vaccine candidates are competing on various stages of clinical tests worldwide in other countries.
However, it is to be noted that Nigeria is not the first country that has claimed the discovery of a vaccine for the Virus. There are several other countries including Italy and Israel, who made their claims in the month of May, the USA based Pfizer which claimed it will have the medicine ready by the month of October. UK’s scientists had also claimed the development of a cure in May.
Since the outbreak, many other countries have also made similar claims but none of them have provided actual proofs in the form of human recoveries due to inoculation.