Every year there is some personality from Bollywood, sports, or politics who receive one of India’s most prestigious honours- the Padma Shri award. This year has been different in many aspects and thus, the nominees of the Padma Shri awards have also changed a lot and there is no inclusion of any personality from either cinema or politics; not even a sports person also! From the year 1954, the Padma Shri award has been given to people whose contribution to society has been worthy enough to be recognized. Various personalities from the field of education, literature, medicine, arts, social service, public affairs, etc. are picked every year for the award. The list of 2021 nominees for the award is a bit different than every year as it consists of personalities that do not include cinema, politics, or sports.
Padma Shri is India’s 4th highest civil honour
After Bharat Ratna, Padma Vibhushan, and Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri is the highest honour that a person can get when in India. To date, a total of 3005 people have been awarded the prestigious Padma Shri awards which include eminent personalities from almost all fields and cultures of India. This year the nomination has shown some difference and no personality from cinema, politics or sports have been included in the list of awardees.
The 15 names from the Padma Shri nominee list that need to be mentioned
- Jagdish Lal Ahuja– organizes langars daily for 500+ patients and has been doing it for more than two decades.
- Rahibai Soma Popere– contribution towards agro-biodiversity conservation.
- Moozhikkal Pankajakshi– practices traditional puppetry art Nokku Vidya Pavakali; she is the ONLY practitioner of the art.
- Mohammed Sharif– performed the last rites of unclaimed bodies for almost 25 years. He is also a cycle mechanic by profession.
- Ravi Kannan– oncologist who looks after cancer patient in a remote area in Barak valley.
- Harekala Hajabba-a fruit vendor by profession who contributes his earnings towards educating others.
- Usha Chaumar– a former manual scavenger, who is now the president of Sulabh international and works towards environmental sanitation.
- Tulasi Gowda– Halakki tribal woman who has immense knowledge of plants and herbs.
- Abdul Jabbar– fighting almost 3 decades for rehabilitation and fair treatment of Bhopal gas leak tragedy survivors.
- S Ramakrishnan– paralyzed himself but worked towards the rehabilitation of other Divyang.
- Yogi Aeron-treats burn and bite victims in the Himalayas for free for the last 35 years
- Munna master– Muslim bhajan singer who disown the caste system of India
- Sundaram Verma-planted 50000+ trees using just one litre of water in Rajasthan’s arid areas with a 100% survival rate
- Radha Mohan and Sabarmati– father-daughter duo who transformed degraded land into “food forest” using only organic techniques
- Sathyanarayan Mundayoor-being a Keralite he spread the joy of reading in Arunachal Pradesh
The PolicyTimes suggestion
- This is a good decision by the awardee panel to only include such people for the highest civilian honour who actually deserve it. By choosing the social workers and the ones who have contributed to society, the true value of the Padma Shri has been relieved again!
- More such initiatives must be taken by the government to honour such people who are contributing their lives for the development of society. If not the Padma Shri, they can at least be awarded other forms of recognition and honour by the government.
Reference link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIe1hXlhTMU