The Ministry of Coal has framed a policy on the handling and disposal of washery rejects after the proposal for such policy was made and approved by the Ministry. This policy is meant to regulate the handling and disposal of coal washery rejects in a uniform manner and will be applicable to all coal washeries.
The Policy will be applicable across all subsidiaries with the aim to dispose of/utilize gainfully, the rejects generated by all CIL washeries, existing and those being set up or will be set up in future, following environment-friendly norms and all Environmental policies of the country including its international Environment commitments, facilitating Environmental clearances.
Coal washery rejects are wastes resulting from washing coal, including substances such as coal fines, soil, sand, and rock. Coal quality is enhanced by washing and the plant where such activity is carried out is called coal washery.
- To define coal washery rejects
- To facilitate conservation of energy through environment-friendly extraction of residue energy from coal washery rejects
- To regulate the use of coal rejects with an aim to minimize pollution footprint.
- To describe the ownership of rejects in different modes of washery operations.
- To ensure staking of rejects, dumping of rejects in mine voids/low lying area in an Environment-friendly manner.
- To provide for a mechanism for monitoring and controlling.
Invitation to stakeholders for comments
The Ministry of Coal India issued a notice seeking comments from stakeholders and listing out the reasons for acceptance or rejection of the said comments or suggestions if any within 7 days from issuing date through email ( email@example.com)