Maithripala Sirisena the current President has run the country for 3 years with no added benefits to the country after several promises. This included corruption to be wiped off, laws to be severely placed so justice could be delivered and an improvement to the faulty crooked politics that affected the local economy.
A report released by Transparency International pointed out that Sri Lanka ranked 95 in the Corruption Perception Index (CPI) in 2016, which was a major drop down the rank by 12 slots compared to 2015.
Recent Corruption scandals include-
- Government Bond Scam in 2015, where Arjun Aloysius owner of Perpetual Treasuries Ltd was sold half the bonds in a 2015 auction. His father in law was Arjun Mahendran, Central Bank governor at time of auction.
- Ravi Karunanayake, Former Foreign Minister Stepped down due to his rent being paid by official in Government Bond Scam.
- The Forgotten Refugees of Sri Lanka
- China to Invest $1 Billion in Sri Lanka
- India’s Dismal Foreign Policy with Its Neighbors!
- China’s Hambantota Deal Spells Further Encirclement of India
Also given the lack of experience of negotiations, the present government handed over a major port- The Hambantota port to China after not being able pay off its 8 Billion debt. This is a major setback in terms of security for Sri Lanka as well as its neighbors like India.
With Mahinda Rajapakse coming back with full swing, its most likely that he will remain the top candidate to win the next general election. India will need to step up support with him in order to gain more entry into its neighbor which is strongly being invested by the Chinese.
Such faults as New Delhi refusing to fund the Hambontota Port when asked by Mahinda Rajapaksa was a detrimental move that led China to fill the gap and take control over it.
History repeats itself, and it should not be too late for India to gain support from the island nation of Sri Lanka.