The Policy Times Dhaka Bureau (30 May):
The United Nations awarded 8 fallen peacekeepers from Bangladesh posthumously with the ‘Dag Hammarskjöld Medal’. Yesterday(29 May), at a virtual ceremony on the occasion of the International Day of UN Peacekeepers held in UN headquarters, 129 fallen peacekeepers from 44 nations received this symbol of the ultimate sacrifice who lost their lives while rendering duties in different UN Peacekeeping operations in 2020. Among the 129 in total- 08 were Bangladeshi peacekeepers, which is the highest from any single country this year.
The 08 awarded fallen Bangladeshi peacekeepers are:
- WO Abdul Md Halim from MINUSMA, Mali;
- WO Md Saiful Imam Bhuiyan from MONUSCO, Democratic Republic of Congo;
- LCPL Md Abdulla Al Mamun from MINUSCA, Central African Republic;
- SGT Md Ziaur Rahman from MONUSCO, Democratic Republic of Congo;
- SGT Md Mobarak Hussain from MONUSCO, Democratic Republic of Congo;
- SGT Mohammad Ibrahim from MINUSCA, Central African Republic;
- LCPL Md Saiful Islam from MONUSCO, Democratic Republic of Congo; and
- Washerman Nurul Amin from UNMISS, South Sudan.
Bangladesh Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Rabab Fatima received the medals on behalf of Bangladesh, those were virtually awarded by the UN Secretary-General António Guterres. “I pay my deep homage to all the brave men and women in blue helmets who lost their lives while serving under the UN flag, and express my heartfelt condolences to their families and friends,” said Ambassador Fatima in a condolence message given on the occasion of the International Day of UN Peacekeepers.
The theme for this year’s Day is “The road to a lasting peace: Leveraging the power of youth for peace and security.” The UN Secretary-General also laid wreaths at the Peacekeepers Memorial Site in the North Lawn of the UNHQs in honor of all peacekeepers who have lost their lives while serving under the UN flag over the past seven decades.
Bangladesh is currently the top contributor of uniformed personnel to UN Peacekeeping operations and around 7000 peacekeepers are deployed in 9 peacekeeping missions at this moment. So far, 159 peacekeepers from Bangladesh have lost their lives while serving in the UN peacekeeping operations.